Friday, August 21, 2015

Unfairly Blacklisted

Abstract tree, 5th grade ASD student work
I was informed on Saturday morning (by robo-email) that I will not be interviewed for one of the three newly restored elementary art teacher positions in the Allentown School District even though I have "met their credential requirements." "The positions have been filled." "No Interview." I believe I am being unfairly blacklisted (for the 2nd time) from full-time employment in the ASD. 

Formerly a tenured ASD art teacher, I've been a dedicated ASD substitute teacher for the past 4 years, including two long-term assignments as an ASD elementary art teacher, and I started a 3rd long-term assignment as an ASD elementary art teacher at the end of this past school year. So … they know I can do the job … and I've also been given letters of recommendation from ASD principals and fellow ASD teachers. 

As many of you know, I've been a vocal ASD parent, publicly opposing the cuts to related arts teachers and advocating for full restoration of these programs. Over the years, I've also been a parent volunteer, freely giving hundreds of hours of my time working to improve the ASD. I am feeling both sad and angry about this apparent free speech punishment and blackball discrimination, which shows the true colors of the ASD administration and ASD board. I will greatly miss my always gratifying interactions with ASD students, ASD parents, and ASD teachers. 

8 comments:

Caing Allentonian said...

Angie, surely this is political payback for your always constructive outspokenness and that of your equally courageous husband. Anyone paying attention knows this. Keep speaking out. Although the students of the ASD and the taxpayers and being cheated by the ASD admin and board with your obvious exclusion from a teaching environment that would benefit greatly by including you in it, please don't let your voice be silenced. The citizens of Allentown who care need to hear from you regularly. God bless you and your family.

Angie Villa said...

Thank you Caing!

Angie Villa said...

By the way, the board knows all about the administration's questionable hiring practices, but they refuse to do anything. Even popular "for the people" board member Ce-Ce Gerlach, after I helped her with an arts resolution, which was instrumental in getting some of the related arts teachers restored. It was my idea. She told me that she did not want to set a precedent by questioning their hiring of an unqualified art teacher over me, but she did make a motion on the hiring of a computer tech. I was passed over 4 times for full time employment, the positions were filled with recent college grads. and I was told even though I met the requirements, I would not be interviewed. Not even an interview!!! This is how I was treated.

Angie Villa said...

Yes, this is the thank you I get for committing myself to improving our community schools, choosing to work in a challenging urban environment. I could have subbed in suburbia, but those kids are getting more than enough arts at school, while the neediest kids suffer with reduced arts and increased test prep.

Angie Villa said...

What a joke. Here is the ASD's Human Resource Director Christina Mazzella opining about how difficult it is to find good substitutes (and new teachers) willing to work in the Allentown SD. She passed over me, someone with a proven record of success working with ASD students and over 10 years of experience, 4 times. This is what we are dealing with here in Allentown. What a disgrace, she should be ashamed of herself. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/substitutes-teaching-christina-mazzella-ms

Anonymous said...

Rolf Oeler has more artistic talent in his purple gherkin than you do in your entire frontal lobe.

Angie Villa said...

LOL, is that all ya got, anonymous coward cretin?

Angie Villa said...

To the losers who are trying to comment here, I'm not posting any more of your sophmoronic personal attacks. This is my space, and it's for legitimate discussion and informed opinion. Your twisted lies won't be published here. BTW I never read those toxic political blogs. My blog is widely read and shared by legitimate, well respected educators around the world. What a sad and pathetic little group of losers at those blogs, like dour and misguided Molovinsky, and other supporters of ousted school board member Scott Armstrong. Please get the mental health help you all so desperately need. I don't feed trolls.