Sunday, January 1, 2017

My Message of Hope for 2017

"A Bigger Splash" by David Hockney

Happy New Year friends! Last night my husband and I enjoyed watching the fantastic new Ron Howard documentary "Eight Days A Week" along with a really fascinating extra features dvd about The Beatles' touring years. And we recently enjoyed inspiring biographies on the lives of artist David Hockney, and music mogul David Geffen. 

All of these uplifting films shared a common theme about rising to the top of your chosen field through hard work and staying true to your vision.  I can't help but contrast this with the bizarre rise of a narcissistic, born on third base, reality TV vulgarian to the top position of leader of the free world. I will not accept Trump as my President. I believe that when someone shows you who he is, as Trump certainly has through his reckless tweeting, you should believe him. Narcissists don't want to change, because they love any kind of attention, even negative. Narcissists are unfit to be Presidents.

I wonder, will there be great art when the bar is set so low?  Right now we really need the arts to remind us of our shared humanity and to give us hope. It's frightening to think about the future, and although it's important to look to the past for inspiration, we can't be stuck there pining for the good old days. I think it is important during these uncertain times, to look within ourselves for hope, to continue to fight and stand up for what we believe in, and to enjoy living in the moment.  It is not healthy to be consumed by fear of the unknown. I have hope and faith in God that truth and goodness will always triumph over evil.

The artists and good people who care about our shared humanity and planet can teach our children that Trump's narcissism is not normal or good. Caring adults can model kindness, empathy, stand up for equal rights, and speak truth to power. I won't be watching a news media that normalizes and legitimizes Trump, presents false equivalencies, and only reports negative news for rating$. The corporate news media deserves most of the blame for this horrible fiasco. People have been duped into believing in a con-man. This is not acceptable. 

Wishing you love, hope, and happiness in 2017!  Surround yourself with those family/friends who show unconditional love and kindness towards you, who support and appreciate you for who you are. Look within yourself and lift yourself to create, to be you, and enjoy the moment. Artists look deeper and longer, to see in a different way not limited by the camera's eye. With a pencil and paper, paint, or whatever medium you choose, the possibilities are endless. You can make a bigger splash!

"I was aware that the teaching of drawing was being stopped almost 30 years ago. And I always said, 'The teaching of drawing is the teaching of looking.' A lot of people don't look very hard." David Hockney

‘When you photograph a splash, you’re freezing a moment and it becomes something else. I realise that a splash could never be seen this way in real life, it happens too quickly. And I was amused by this, so I painted it in a very, very slow way.’  David Hockney





No comments: